Building a resilient garden is a hot topic with a long history. We will explore our rich history of food gardening, starting your own vegetable garden from seed, perennial crops for Northern climates, extending the season, plant profiles for vegetable as well as some fruit crops, and unearthing inspiration for building food resilience in our own backyards.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Recognize the resilient framework of historical gardening methods
- Compare and contrast different gardening styles and techniques
- List a minimum of five high-value food crops
- Establish and maintain a variety of vegetable seedlings for food production
- Identify a selection of cold-hardy perennial fruit and vegetables for Northern climates
- Apply regenerative food gardening practices to increase localized food resilience