In your role as a teaching assistant or instructor, you may be in a position to interact with students who are feeling anxious, stressed, or overwhelmed. This workshop provides a framework to recognize and respond to students in distress. Strategies to produce a supportive learning environment will also be discussed and practiced.
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Recognize common signs and/or indicators of students in distress;
- Implement strategies for responding to students in distress, including a) When to respond, b) How to respond and/or refer the student to resources, c) How and when to follow-up;
- Identify campus resources that are available to assist students;
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Graduate Student Certificate in University Teaching and Learning : Theories and Issues in Postsecondary Teaching and Learning Badge - Optional Courses
- Postdoctoral Scholars Certificate in University Teaching and Learning : Theories and Issues in Postsecondary Teaching and Learning Badge - Optional Courses