The downtowns of Canada's largest cities include many dynamic mixed-use real estate development projects. Technological advances, traffic congestion, and environmental concerns are some of the many factors that are driving an explosion in mixed-use real estate planning and development. Gain an overview of the development process that incorporates complimentary residential, commercial, civic and business uses into a single parcel or development concept area. Learn about mixed-use planning polices and development regulations, and gain a deeper understanding of the development process from start to finish using Calgary as a case example.
By completion of this course, successful students will have gained a general understanding of mixed use and be able to:
- Identify advantages and disadvantages of mixed use,
- Use the specific criteria for site selection feasibility,
- Discuss important factors for leasing and sales
- Describe the basic principles of mixed-use development for a Transit Oriented Development
- Recognize the municipal approval advantages of mixed-use