Course DescriptionThis course will examine art from the early Christian and Medieval periods through the Renaissance in Italy and in Northern Europe. We will specifically look at Carolinginian, Ottonian, Romanesque, Gothic, Proto-Renaissance, Early Renaissance, High Renaissance, Venetian Renaissance, Mannerist, and Northern Renaissance art. Examine and study the masterpieces of Giotto, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Titian, Jan Van Eyck; the artistic centres of Florence, Venice and Rome, as well as the magnificent cathedrals and their sculpture, glasswork and murals. Discover the Dark Ages and witness the re-birth of Europe through an immersion in the art of these times.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Critically analyze the art: explain the art in terms of its historical, religious, and iconographic context
- Identify major monuments and works of art of this period
- Identify major period styles and the styles of major artists
- Build a vocabulary with which one can explore art objects and elements of style
- Explore the rich artistic and historical heritage of the western world through art