Learn how to design and facilitate live online learning events such as online classes and virtual meetings. Examine synchronous learning tools and their use in creating interactive and collaborative experiences for learners in a virtual classroom. Develop skills and strategies that will help you improve your success and confidence as a facilitator of live online events.
This practical course will be delivered fully online in weekly synchronous (live) sessions via Adobe Connect with supporting resources in the asynchronous environment (Desire2Learn). As the final course project, you will create and deliver a synchronous event utilizing the tools and techniques mastered in the course.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Apply collaborative design techniques to create or migrate presentations to online learning events
- Create collaborative synchronous exercises utilizing whiteboard, chat, breakout rooms, application sharing, and synchronized web browsing
- Use the templates provided to create synchronous facilitator and participant materials
- Apply techniques for maximizing learner engagement, energy, and motivation in the online learning environment
- Examine the supporting role of a producer or assistant facilitator
- Manage the various technical and participant difficulties that can and will occur in synchronous learning
- Deliver a synchronous session (either instructional or meeting oriented) including participant preparation, producer preparation, logistical set-up, and post-session follow up
Formerly known as ADL 117 Designing and Facilitating for the Synchronous Online Classroom.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates*
*Effective Winter 2019