Familiarize yourself with second language teaching methodology in the last two centuries. First, an historical overview of the different approaches including grammar translation, the Direct and Series methods, Audiolingualism and so forth will be examined. Then, learn more about using newer methods such as Communicative Language Teaching (CLT), Task-Based Learning (TBL), and the Lexical Approach.
Broad Learning Outcomes
By completing the TSL: Methodology course, successful student will be able to:
- Describe the major approaches and methods used in second language teaching in the past and now.
- Critically assess the theoretical foundations these methods were built on.
- Identify how teachers can benefit from the teaching methods covered in the course and implement them in your own present / future teaching context.
- Design and/or adapt various teaching tasks reflecting eclectic and communicative approaches to teaching.
Supporting Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Identify main characteristics of various past and present approaches and methods in second language teaching.
- Analyze and critique published materials and tasks these present in light of communicative and eclectic approach to language teaching.
- Describe more accurately your own beliefs about effective language teaching and your approach to it.
NotesFormerly TSL 104- TSL Methodology
PrerequisitesBMC 352 Learning Online (required for online sections of this course), and completion of TSL Level 1 - TESL courses or TSL Level 1 - TIHL courses.
- TSL 129 - Teaching Skills and Systems 2 - IHL (Complete)
- TSL 128 - Teaching Skills and Systems 1 - IHL (Complete)
- TSL 127 - TSL Fundamentals - IHL (Complete)
- TSL 122 - Teaching Skills and Systems 2 - ESL (Complete)
- TSL 121 - Teaching Skills and Systems 1 - ESL (Complete)
- TSL 120 - TSL Fundamentals (Complete)
- TSL 108 - Linguistic Structures (Complete)
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Teaching Second Language Certificate - Level 2 : Core Courses