Examine theories of first and second language acquisition and consider how learners' first language affects their learning of another language. Discuss the unique challenges of teaching children, youth and adults, as well as teaching students at different proficiency levels. Learn concrete approaches for reaching learners with various learning styles and help students to develop their autonomy and learning strategies. Finally, consider principles and techniques for effective verbal and written correction and feedback.
Broad Learning Outcomes
By completion of the TSL: Level 2 course, successful students will be able to:
- Describe the main theories of second language acquisition.
- Understand the effect of learners’ age on language learning and teaching.
- Describe the main features of various language proficiency levels.
- Understand and apply the principles of effective error correction and feedback.
Supporting Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Make better inferences as to how learners’ second language acquisition works and is affected by their L1.
- Adapt and design tasks that are appropriate for various age groups.
- Adapt and design tasks that are appropriate for various proficiency levels.
- Choose between various error correction techniques depending on the teaching situation.
NotesFormerly: TSL 124- Level 2
BMC 352 Learning Online (required for online sections of this course), and completion of TSL Level 1 - TESL courses or TSL Level 1 - TIHL courses.
Linguistic Structures TSL 108, AND TSL Fundamentals - ESL(complete) TSL 120, Teaching Skills and Systems 1 - ESL (Complete) TSL 121 or TSL 131, AND Teaching Skills and Systems 2 TSL 122 or TSL 132- ESL (Complete),
TSL Fundamentals - IHL (Complete) TSL 127or TSL 120 AND, Teaching Skills and Systems 1 - IHL (Complete) TSL 128 or TSL 133 AND, Teaching Skills and Systems 2 - IHL (Complete) TSL 129 or TSL 134.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Teaching Second Language Certificate - Level 2 : Core Courses