Does the mention of a run-on sentence fill you with dread? Do your sentences cry out for more vitality and brevity? Are you interested in strategies that professional editors use to revise efficiently? Strong writers tune up their grammar and writing skills regularly. They know that good grammar and clear, dynamic writing are fundamental to successful and stylish writing. In this non-certificate course you will review the basics of grammar including parts of speech, sentence structure, common grammatical problems and solutions, and punctuation. Examine how to dramatically improve your writing by applying the principles of clarity, brevity, energy, and cohesion. Leave with skills and resources that will help you continue to refine your writing skills.
This course is intended for native English speakers or high level second language speakers. Our English language policy can be found at: http://conted.ucalgary.ca/policies/list/english.jsp.
Course Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Identify parts of speech and sentence structure.
- Resolve common grammatical problems.
- Apply the conventions that govern punctuation, capitalization, and abbreviations.
- Appreciate and apply key style principles to improve clarity, precision, and fluency.
- Define and apply some of the strategies and techniques that professional editors use.
NotesFormer code and name: WRI 203 Intensive Grammar and Style Clinic
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Professional Certificate for Emerging Leaders : Professional Skills Seminars