The Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) prepares English Learners for success in the Canadian undergraduate degree-credit environment. The ACC is comprised of four English Academic Preparation courses in addition to weekly academic success seminars.
Students completing the ACC with a grade of B+ or higher will meet the English language proficiency requirement for admission into applicable University of Calgary undergraduate and graduate programs.
Academic Preparation Courses:
EAP 220: Academic Writing & Composition
EAP 225: Research Writing & Form
EAP 230: Critical Listening & Notetaking
EAP 235: Oral Communications Skills & Presentations
Academic Success Seminars:
EAP 249 Academic Success Tutorials
Optional Courses available to enrol in with EAP 200:
- Activity Program (ESL 102 or ESL 103) – students are responsible for checking their course schedules and ensuring there are no schedule conflicts before registering into the activity program.
- Homestay Program (ESL 900)
Please see Program Policies and Procedures for information on admission, payment options and refunds.
- Students must be 18 years or older.
- Students must fulfil one of the following minimum requirements. *
- Proof of English language proficiency (score report) is required at the time of registration.
- Completion of level 6 of the ELP Semester Program with a final grade of B+ or higher in each course
- A TOEFL iBT score of 70 or higher. Minimum of 20 in Writing.
- A TOEFL PBT score of 533
- An IELTS Academic score of 6.0 or higher. Minimum 6.0 in Writing, 5.5 in any other skill area.
- A CAEL score of 60 or higher. Minimum of 60 in Writing.
- A MELAB score of 76
- A PTE score of 54
- A Cambridge English Language Assessment (CAE/CPE) score of 172
- A Duolingo English Test score of 110.
* In the event that students display English language performance that is significantly different from the English language proficiency scores they submitted, they will be assigned to the course level that aligns with their in-class performance.