Employers can receive:
Up to $10,000 to assist with training an individual employee
Up to $300,000 per year
Do you know that government funding is available for training?
The Canada-Alberta Job grant is a training opportunity that can result in an employer receiving up to $10,000 to assist with training an individual employee. The amount of funding an employer can receive in a year is capped at $300,000. For the training, employers are required to use a third-party provider, such as UCalgary Continuing Education.
In order to receive this federal/provincial grant, an employer must cover a minimum of one third of an employee's direct training costs. If the application is approved, the grant could cover up to two-thirds of the employee's training costs to a maximum of $10,000 per trainee.
Applications for the grant are submitted by the employer, however UCalgary Continuing Education can assist both employers and employees by answering questions and assisting with the completion of the application form.
While it is up to the employer to apply for funding, you may be interested in initiating a conversation with your employer so that you may receive needed training.
In order to qualify for the grant:
- You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- You must be employed by a business with an Alberta Corporate Access Number (ACAN).
- Your training programs must be at least 21 hours, which could be a single course, or a group of courses. Each approved course must result in some form of credential, such as a record of completion, certificate, diploma, grade/mark, or industry-recognized credential.
- You must have agreement from your employer, as your employer will be required to sign and submit the application form, and pay costs prior to being reimbursed by the government. Your employer will be responsible for at least one third of the training costs. Through the grant, the government may contribute up to two-thirds of your program to a maximum of $10,000.
The Canada-Alberta Job Grant is an ideal opportunity for you to develop your employees. Through this federal/provincial grant, you can receive funding to cover up to two-thirds of the cost of training one employee, up to a maximum of $10,000. The maximum amount of funding an employer can receive per year is $300,000.
UCalgary Continuing Education would be pleased to be your training provider, and can assist you with the grant application process:
- As the employer, it is your responsibility to complete, sign and submit all sections of the Canada-Alberta Job Grant Application. Once the application has been approved, you will be required to register your employees and pay the costs prior to the start of the training. If you choose to pay for the training prior to the application being approved, you will be responsible for covering all training costs if the application is denied.
- Following the approval of the application — which may take 30 days or more — and after the training cost has been paid, you will submit a Canada-Alberta Job Grant Reimbursement Form along with applicable receipts to receive your first reimbursement of the training costs. Upon training completion, you will send another Canada-Alberta Job Grant Completion Form to the Government of Alberta and an additional reimbursement will be issued. The remaining costs will be your responsibility.
- UCalgary Continuing Education can provide quotes for training and letters of completion which are required when submitting the Canada-Alberta Job Grant Application and Reimbursement Forms.
UCalgary Continuing Education training opportunities
A seminar or course of 21 hours or more qualifies for the grant. Alternatively, multiple seminars and courses can be combined to meet the 21-hour minimum.
Business Seminars: More than 60 seminars are available and are designed to enhance communication, leadership and management skills, and personal effectiveness. These seminars range from three hours to multiple full-day sessions, with most running from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, at the main or downtown campus. View Business Seminars...
Online and On Campus Courses: Hundreds of courses are offered each term in business, conflict resolution, computing technology, leadership, management, teaching adults and more. View courses...
While hundreds of courses are eligible for the grant, we suggest the following list of offerings as ideal options for training. These courses are scheduled regularly and provide relevant training for today's workplace:
- Business Management (40 hours)
- Dealing with Anger (21 hours)
- Foundations of Collaborative Conflict Resolution: Workplace Focus (21 hours)
- Fundamentals of Supervision (21 hours)
- Gathering Requirements for BI Projects (30 hours)
- Human Behaviour in Organizations (40 hours)
- Management Communications: Interpersonal Skills (40 hours)
- Mediation Skills Level I (21 hours)
- Negotiation Skills Level I (21 hours)
- Project Management: Level 1 (40 hours)
- Writing in the Workplace (40 hours)
For more information about how you can take advantage of the Canada-Alberta Job Grant and for assistance with completing the application for funding, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-220-2866.
Visit the Canada-Alberta Job Grant website for more information.