Give voice to your inner creativity. Explore various creative writing genres such as fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry, and drama through discussion, writing exercises, close reading of published work, and instructor and peer feedback consistent with your level of experience and comfort. The focus will be on generating ideas, and learning the basics of the writer's craft.
Broad Learning Outcome:
Upon successful completion of Creative Writing Explorations, you will be able to trust the importance of what you write on the page. This initial affirmation as a writer is critical to your learning of the craft in any of its forms. You will understand the conventions of genre, and how to mold them for your story crafting.
Supporting Learning Outcome Statements
Upon successful completion of this course, you will have:
- Accumulated knowledge (ie: how to write a good story, poem, or personal essay;)
- Deep personal learning that launches risk-taking and experimentation with genre
- A personal portfolio of work, and potential items for future work
- A writing community that supports your ideals as a writer
- A good self-editing practice, and listening skills for changing and building your writing
Prerequisite: BMC 352 Learning Online
It is not possible to register online for this course until you have successfully completed BMC 352 Learning Online or have a Learning Online Prerequisite Waiver in your profile. You may enrol in this course, by telephone, if you are enrolled in a section of BMC 352 that will be completed before this course begins.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Creative Writing Certificate : Core Courses