Contract administration, the grievance process and arbitration are central to labour relations. Following an introduction to these concepts, you participate in a simulated negotiation. Topics include: third-party assistance, the structure and function of unions; labour relations legislation; and union management co-operation. In this course you will discuss the role that trade unions play, both in the workplace and in greater society. You will also gain an appreciation of the legal, social, economic and political framework and complexities within which contemporary labour relations operates in Canada, with some emphasis on Alberta. You will also learn practical skills by working in teams to participate in a union contract negotiations simulation.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the basic legal environment in which trade unions function.
- Debate the process by which trade unions become legally entitled to represent workers, and the factors that motivate workers to become unionized.
- Analyze the factors that influence workers to form or join trade unions
- Differentiate the political dynamics among employees, trade unions and employers
- Summarize the merits of the union -management consultation committee process
- Apply various problem solving approaches to workplace disputes
- Explain the process of collective bargaining
- Explain the merits of arbitration
- Qualify the importance of documentation in HR processes
- Shawna Boyko
- Barb Krell
- Michèle Luit, MA in Conflict Analysis and Management, President
- Jean-anne Moors
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Human Resource Management Certificate : Optional Human Resource Management Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management - PEG : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Construction Management : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Risk Management : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Strategic Management : Optional Courses
- Public Relations Management Certificate : Optional Management Courses
- Security Management Certificate : Optional Management Courses