Course DescriptionExamine the specific listening and helping skills for establishing the advising relationship. Identify and develop these skills, within the context of assisting others, to explore career and academic issues, and clarify and pursue their career goals.
Upon successful completion of the Helping Skills course, you will be able to apply your interpersonal skills to provide in helping services. You will also be able to apply ethical practice in your role as a professional, and to implement practical strategies to address and support clients’ needs.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Describe the importance of ethical practice in professional helping relationships
- Demonstrate personal and professional awareness of self, others, and society
- Identify key problems and/or challenges often experienced by service-recipient
- Develop an action plan for supporting client goals and access to services
- List various community resources available to assist clients in addressing their individual needs
- Appreciate, recognize, and negotiate learning differences in a co-constructed online learning environment
- Promote and model active listening and other forms of interpersonal communications
- Reflect on the importance of competency-based practice as an ongoing process
NotesStudents should expect to spend five to seven hours on coursework each week.
Required: BMC 352 Learning Online
It is not possible to register online for this course until you have successfully completed BMC 352 Learning Online or have a Learning Online Prerequisite Waiver in your profile. You may enrol in this course, by telephone, if you are enrolled in a section of BMC 352 that will be completed before this course begins.
Recommended: ADL 210 Career Development Foundations
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Adult and Community Education : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Career and Academic Advising : Career and Academic Advising Specialization Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in e-Learning : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Workplace Learning : Optional Courses
- Career and Academic Advising Certificate : Core Courses