This comprehensive English program consists of twelve weeks of instruction and one week of exams.
Students attend separate courses in grammar, speaking & listening, and reading & writing. The program helps students to develop vocabulary; improve proficiency at integrating critical thinking skills, reading and writing tasks; increase accuracy and fluency in English communication.
Level 6, the top level of the Semester Program, departs from the broad communication goals of levels 1-5 and focuses on the written and oral skills necessary for success in the English language post-secondary classroom. Students completing level 6 with a minimum final grade of B+ in each course are eligible for direct entry into the Academic Communication Certificate.
Optional courses available to enrol in with ESL 100 (Face-to-face programs only):
- Activity Program (ESL 102 or ESL 103)
- Homestay Program (ESL 900)
- TOEIC Preparation Course (ESL 205)
Please see Program Policies and Procedures for information on admission, payment options and refunds.View All English Language Program Offerings
- Students must be 18 years of age or older
- Advanced placement into levels 5 and 6 of the Semester Program is available for students wishing to guarantee their level placements. The following minimum requirements are needed.*
- Level 5: TOEFL iBT score of 45 (15 in writing), IELTS Academic score of 5.0, CAEL score of 40 or Duolingo English Test score of 80.
- Level 6: TOEFL iBT score of 55 (18 in writing), IELTS Academic score of 5.5, CAEL score of 50 or Duolingo English Test score of 95.
* In the event that students display English language performance that is significantly different from the English language proficiency scores they submitted, they will be assigned to the course level that aligns with their in-class performance.