This comprehensive English program consists of twelve weeks of instruction and one week of exams.
Students attend separate courses in grammar, speaking & listening, and reading & writing. The program helps students to develop vocabulary; improve proficiency at integrating critical thinking skills, reading and writing tasks; increase accuracy and fluency in English communication.
Level 6, the top level of the Semester Program, departs from the broad communication goals of levels 1-5 and focuses on the written and oral skills necessary for success in the English language post-secondary classroom. Students completing level 6 with a minimum final grade of B+ in each course meet the English language proficiency requirement for:
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC)
- UCalgary Continuing Education International Professional Programs
- Applicable Bow Valley College certificate and diploma programs
Optional courses available to enrol in with ESL 100:
Please see Admission, Payment and Refunds for information on admission, payment options and refunds.View All English Language Program Offerings
- Students must be 18 years of age or older*
- Advanced placement into levels 5 and 6 of the Semester Program is available for students wishing to guarantee their level placements. The following minimum requirements are needed**
- Level 5: TOEFL iBT score of 45 overall (15 in writing), IELTS Academic score of 5.0 overall (5.0 in writing, 4.5 in any other skill area), CAEL score of 40 overall (40 in writing), or Duolingo English Test score of 85 overall (75 in production).
- Level 6: TOEFL iBT score of 55 overall (18 in writing), IELTS Academic score of 5.5 overall (5.5 in writing, 5 in any other skill area), CAEL score of 50 overall (50 in writing), or Duolingo English Test score of 95 overall (85 in production).
*If you are 17 and have completed high school, please contact the English Language Program.
**In the event that students display English language performance that is significantly different from the English language proficiency scores they submitted, they will be assigned to the course level that aligns with their in-class performance.