Course DescriptionIn this course, students will learn to create useful analysis for the business within a functional reporting framework. Also, students will learn to gather the right requirements and ask the right business questions to create dashboards and reports for presenting the results of business analysis using the MAD framework.
Business Intelligence is often misunderstood because it resides in-between the business and the technology departments of an organization. Both its challenges and its potential are borne from the dependence on collaboration to achieve the desired outcome. However, this collaboration requires that both groups understand the needs and capabilities that Business Intelligence solutions can provide.
The concepts in this course will be taught through a class-long mini-project where you will engage in the hands-on development of dashboards, scorecards and reports primarily using tools from the Microsoft suite.
Course Level Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Model a MAD framework presentation
- Use industry best practices to develop visual dashboard layouts
- Develop monitor level dashboards and detail level reporting
- Develop analysis level dashboards using Power BI Desktop
Topics of Instruction
- Identify business problems to solve through reporting and analysis
- Translate requirements into information presentation designs
- Develop a MAD framework for the information delivery solution
- Use semantic layers to drive report development
- Develop interactive operational reports
- Enable drill, slice and filter capabilities within the reporting solution
- Design user experiences that enable effective information consumption
- Develop executive dashboards and scorecards
- Explore advanced data visualization tools and techniques