The children and youth writing market is a rich and vibrant one. We will focus on writing for readers aged 8 to 14 years, with a brief discussion for age groups younger than this. Examine the writing process from initial concept to finished work including how to turn ideas into stories, story structure, developing characters, the creation of outlines and the importance of editing and revision. You will also examine ways to research publishing houses where you can submit your work, cover letters, synopses and sample chapters.
Course Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Define the fundamentals of writing for children and young adults
- Turn your ideas into stories
- Create believable characters for your stories
- Identify the need for outlines and planning
- Appreciate the importance of editing and revision
- Appreciate the importance of research
- Create great beginnings and pace your story
- Research ways in which to submit your work to publishers
Prerequisites: WRI 140 Creative Writing Explorations.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Creative Writing Certificate : Optional Courses