Learn about the process of getting your work published through study, practise, peer and instructor feedback, and assignments. This course will prepare you to seek publication of a fiction or non-fiction manuscript using traditional or self-publishing. Learn the complexities of establishing an author platform, growing a social media presence, and submitting work to an agent and publisher. Additional topics include book design, making a publication deal, contracts and royalties. Assignments will allow you to create a professional query letter, author biography and marketing plan for a current or future book project.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Assess the clarity of a book idea
- Research and evaluate comparable titles
- Develop an author platform on social media
- Compose an author biography, book pitch and query letter for an agent or publisher
- Identify the components of a book proposal package
- Identify the pros and cons of self-publishing
- Develop a book marketing plan
NotesPreviously known as "Getting Published - Fiction (WRI 212)"
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Creative Writing Certificate : Optional Courses
- Professional Writing Certificate specializing in Business and Technical Writing : Optional Courses
- Professional Writing Certificate specializing in Marketing and Public Relations : Optional Courses