Now expanded to include negotiation as well as mediation, this two-day elective focuses on Stage 2 of the model. Using a variety of video, demonstration and in-the-moment examples, you will learn how to sift through the dynamics, the emotion and the way people express themselves in order to clearly isolate issues that should form the agenda. You will learn how to ask the kinds of questions that clarify themes and issues, how to summarize to provide focus and how to get agreement on the agenda. You will have lots of opportunity to practise.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Assess opening remarks in Stage 2 to determine the negotiable issues.
- Formulate key questions that would assist in quickly clarifying embedded issues.
- Summarize opening statements with a focus on the specific issues in dispute, while acknowledging any emotion and key interests that are expressed.
- Reframe the issues using neutral and non-blaming language.
- Gain the parties’ acceptance of an agreement to the agenda.
PDS 001 Foundations of Collaborative Conflict Resolution OR
PDS 002 Foundations of Collaborative Conflict Resolution: Workplace Focus AND
PDS 006 Mediation Skills Level I OR
PDS 185 Negotiation Skills Level I