Focus on Digital SLR cameras — cameras that are fully adjustable with the ability to change lenses. Topics include: composition, exposure control, automatic versus manual operation, aperture, shutter speed, white balance, using flash and available light, and evaluating the final pictures. Please bring a Digital SLR or mirror-less camera and manual to first class.
Before coming to the first class, students should familiarize themselves with their camera manuals and be able to locate the shutter release, and the shutter speed and aperture dials.
By mastering and understanding the basic controls on your digital SLR camera, capture more effective and creative images.Learn basics about your light meter, adjusting aperture and shutter speed, different lenses and focal lengths, using your flash effectively, and balancing exposure in the Manual Mode.
- To understand basic technical photographic principles in order to comfortably use your camera in the manual setting.
- To understand and use visual elements of design in order to create stronger compositions and communicate your ideas
- To increase your ability to experiment and try creative techniques
For this course, you will need a SLR camera with a "manual mode" in which you can adjust both aperture and shutter speed simultaneously. Please read your camera manual and bring it to class. Optional equipment for the course: tripod and cable release.
This course is non-graded, unless you are taking it for credit as part of the Certificate of Visual Design.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Focus, measure the light, and adjust the camera settings comfortably
- Compose photos according the rule of thirds and other compositional principles
- Take photos in manual, aperture priority, shutter speed priority and automatic modes
- Adjust the shutter speed to freeze the motion to photograph fast moving subjects, or blur the motion to create artistic photos
- Exposure and light meters
- Adjust the aperture to control the depth of field and sharpen or blur the background in portrait, landscape and product photography
- Adjust the white balance manually when required
- Take better photos using camera's built-in TTL flash in indoor events
- Long exposures and Bulb mode
Content may vary slightly to meet needs of class.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Visual Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Art Theory and Practice : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Interior Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Photography : Optional Photography Courses