Each community, organization, or volunteer approaches community economic development differently. Council members are the leaders of this process, setting the direction for Economic Development to occur. This course will provide elected officials with the foundational knowledge and skills needed to set a clearly defined path for prosperity and gain the necessary support from their community.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Define Economic Development
- Discuss how elected officials fit into these functions: Governance vs. Operations
- Explore how Council members can best serve their community as Economic Development leaders
- Examine the principles and theories of economic development
- Distinguish between the concepts of community economic development (CED) and traditional economic development
- Describe the elements of a community strategic plan and how it links to an economic development strategic plan