Container gardening is an excellent method of landscaping apartment balconies, terraces, and penthouse and residential patios. Topics include: selecting containers, raised planters and hanging baskets, tips and tricks to take advantage of space, bulbs and annuals, soil and nutrient requirements, winter use, alternative uses of planters for sculptural form and garden furnishings. Students will create and take home a large starter container with a variety of plants. Arrangement materials are supplied with payment due at registration.
By completion of the course, successful students will be able to:
- Create a container garden suitable for their own space
- Identify different types of containers
- Identify appropriate spaces for different containers
- Define soil and nutrient requirements
- Identify various local bulbs and annual plants that work in Calgary and area
Students should bring hand pruners, garden gloves and wear an apron to protect their clothes.