This course has been designed for language instructors who want to learn current theory and practice regarding how to effectively teach English for academic purposes. This course will empower language teachers with the knowledge and skills necessary to confidently meet language learners’ needs for academic English and better position these students for a successful post-secondary experience.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Define and discuss English for Academic Purposes (EAP) models as they apply to language teaching
- Identify and interpret the effectiveness of EAP in language teaching
- Demonstrate an understanding of pedagogical best practices when teaching EAP
- Analyze and critique current EAP research and theories
- Investigate emerging trends in EAP research as they apply to language learning
- Design and create an EAP lesson plan using an appropriate English Language Teaching (ELT) methodology