COR 380 - School Leadership Qualification Standard - Alberta Ministry of Education
Quality leadership occurs when the educational leader’s ongoing analysis of the context, and decisions about what leadership knowledge and abilities to apply, result in quality teaching and optimum learning for all school students. The School Leadership Qualification Standard program will provide certification to individuals who are seeking to meet the education requirements for the Alberta Education Leadership Quality Standard for Principals.
The Leadership Quality Standard applies to all leaders employed in an Alberta school authority. The Standard expects quality leadership to happen when the leader’s ongoing analysis of the context, and decisions about what leadership knowledge and abilities to apply, result in quality teaching and optimum learning for all school students. All K-12 school leaders are expected to meet the Leadership Quality Standard throughout their careers. This course will explore the nine competencies and indicators set out by Alberta Ministry of Education for Leadership Quality Standard Certification.
This course will be delivered as a pilot to fulfil the requirements of the project by the Alberta Ministry of Education to individuals seeking LQS education programming. The delivery format consists of a 5-day block course with additional distance and online learning opportunities for the pilot project. Students for the pilot will be recruited through the UCalgary Continuing Education website, our project focus groups, and graduates from past Werklund M.Ed cohorts.
By the completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Examine individual self-assessment for readiness to embark on an educational leadership journey
- Recognize models for building professional learning, engaging others (teachers, principals, and other leaders) to build personal and collective professional capacities.
- Describe frameworks for providing instructional leadership.
- Apply frameworks for supporting the application of foundational knowledge about First Nations, Métis, and Inuit across their school environment.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of larger societal context and its impact on school leadership and management.
- Examine frameworks approaches, and tools for responding to political, social, economic, legal and cultural factors impacting schools and the school authority.
- Examine factors (challenges, opportunities, and trends) facing principals within their province.