FIF 650 - The Unspoken Rules of Masculinity
Examine how boys and men learn what masculinity means today. We will look around ourselves to identify the unspoken rules of masculinity and lessons learned about being boys and men. We will discuss language such as “boys will be boys”, the media headlines, music, and masculinized spaces like locker rooms. We will also discuss the movement of men and boys as advocates for change and allies with others. This course centers on questioning the unspoken rules of what boys and men learn about being men, from each other and from women.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Compare and contrast the terms of masculinity
- Identify the unspoken, implicit rules and norms of masculinity
- Define the evolution of masculinities from the singular to the plural
- Recognize underlying assumptions regarding gender
- Explore the possibilities and practices of men as advocates for change