PIW 141 - Chess Wise: For Beginners and Novice Players
Do you know the rules and want to improve your chess game? A Chess Federation of Canada National Master and Alberta-certified instructor will guide you through the fundamentals of chess so you can play a better game, pass on your knowledge to your children or grandchildren, and perhaps go on to play in your first tournament. Through presentations and playing practice that you can't get online, we will cover key topics including fundamentals of chess piece movement, chess history, chess tactics and strategy, and the benefits of playing chess to help you become a more formidable player.
Please bring your chess set to class.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Identify the important elements of chess strategy
- Decipher grandmaster games
- Recognize tactical motifs on the chessboard that will defeat opponents
- Appreciate how chess has evolved through its fascinating history
- Become a stronger chess player
- Prepare for your first or next chess tournament
Students are expected to know the rules of the game i.e. can sit down and play a game.