A solid sense of your own professional ethical standards allows you to live an authentic life and be more confident about the choices you make at work. In your role as an educator, manager, advisor or other professional, this study of ethics will address professional ethical issues by exploring different ethical theories and approaches to decision making. You will learn the elements of logical discussion and debate as well as cognitive biases that can create flaws in our own thinking. Whether you are faced with a personal ethical dilemma or a disagreement with colleagues, you will be better prepared to analyze the issue and apply ethical reasoning to create a satisfactory conclusion. You will also gain better insight into the code of ethics for your profession or company.
Course DetailsUpon completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Distinguish between laws and codes of ethics
- Compare and evaluate models of ethical reasoning used to resolve ethical dilemmas
- Identify the components needed to create an effective code of ethics
- Create a personal code of ethics using ethics theories and applied techniques
- Apply ethical theory and practical applications when responding to discussions or assignments
NotesStudents should expect to spend five to seven hours on coursework each week.
Prerequisite: BMC 352 Learning Online
It is not possible to register online for this course until you have successfully completed BMC 352 Learning Online or have a Learning Online Prerequisite Waiver in your profile. You may enrol in this course, by telephone, if you are enrolled in a section of BMC 352 that will be completed before this course begins.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Adult and Community Education : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Career and Academic Advising : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in e-Learning : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Workplace Learning : Optional Courses
- Human Resource Management Certificate : Optional Human Resource Management Courses
- Occupational Health and Safety Diploma : Core Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management - PEG : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Construction Management : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Risk Management : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Strategic Management : Optional Courses