Discover the most influential themes and methodologies informing artists and designers working today. Gain an understanding of the connection between these themes to the artistic practices of the last century involving investigations into critical theory and material methods which have ultimately impacted the trajectory of art as we know it. Modernist art and Post-Modernist art will also be examined and referred to as we seek to attain a deeper knowledge of what inspired much of the art that is being produced today.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Contextualize notable recurrent themes in contemporary art by acknowledging their routes and origins in prior movements that have occurred over the last century.
- Apply vocabulary relevant to contemporary art and design practices; articulating the formal and conceptual characteristics of a given artwork through critical analysis.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and analysis in the comparing of different artworks citing their respective attributes and clearly expressing how they relate to or differ from one another.
- Identify a range of material methods informant of contemporary studio practices, recognizing a diverse scope of various forms of media, tools, and processes utilized by artists working in both traditional and interdisciplinary capacities.
- Define at a basic level several of the main differentiating factors that generally distinguish contemporary and post-modern art from modern art with consideration to artists and designers working historically and today.
- Participate in critical discussion responding to the insights of peers and fellow artists by expressing personal views on a given art work providing specific stated criteria to validate individual sentiments.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Visual Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Art Theory and Practice : Optional Art Theory and Practice Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Interior Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Photography : Optional Courses