Formerly: WRI 270 Grants, Sales, and Funding Proposals
Learn and apply established methods of planning, writing and revising proposals through study, practice, peer and instructor feedback, and assignments.You will be provided an opportunity to work on case-study exercises or, if you prefer, actual proposals from your workplace. In either case, the completed proposals will be evaluated as part of the course mark. Practise developing both sales and funding proposals. Also discuss types of proposals, uncovering needs, and finding funding sources (grants).
Course Learning Outcomes
Proposal writing is part art — positioning your product or service, aligning to the customer’s or funder’s needs, and persuading the reader to “choose you.” It is also part science — applying standard, repeatable methods for development and completion, and managing your resources to deliver on time. In this course, you will complete several assignments that step you through the science of proposal writing to develop your creative, persuasive proposal that will win funding, a client or a contract.
Broad Learning Outcome
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to plan, write and revise a proposal to increase the chance of success. The focus will be on practicing skills that relate to preparing and submitting proposals, whether the proposals are for sales, grants or other types funding.
Supporting Learning Outcome Statements
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Identify different types of proposals
- Apply standard writing steps in preparing proposals
- Plan, write and revise a letter of inquiry and a proposal
- Identify audience, purpose and requirements, and select appropriate writing style and form
- Write commonly used components of proposals
- Recognize how style and form are as important in written communication as the message
Prerequisite: Learning Online (BMC 152 or BMC 352)
You may not register online for this course until you have successfully completed Learning Online or have a Learning Online Prerequisite Waiver in your profile. You may enrol in this course by telephone if you are enrolled in a section of BMC 352 that will be completed before this course begins.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Creative Writing Certificate : Optional Courses
- Professional Writing Certificate specializing in Business and Technical Writing : Professional Writing Optional Courses
- Professional Writing Certificate specializing in Marketing and Public Relations : Professional Writing Optional Courses