Learn the key elements for creating functional and visually appealing settings within a commercial space. Using case studies, examine interior design principles for commercial spaces such as educational or other institutional projects, multi-family or assisted living senior’s housing accommodation; as well as hospitality, retail or office building types. Practise field verification, selection of materials, composition and functional relationships of spaces through concept display boards and design drawings.
- Read basic design drawings (plans, sections, and elevations)
- Identify the differences between space planning and interior decoration
- Apply principles needed in selecting products, materials, colours and lighting/li>
- Identify and apply principle design considerations including: ergonomics, functionality, environmental and ethical concerns, aesthetic composition principles, etc
- Understand the differences between residential and commercial material types
- Understand how to assemble a material finish concept display board
- Understand how to assemble a preliminary cost estimate for an interior design commercial based client proposal.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Visual Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Art Theory and Practice : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Interior Design : Optional Interior Design Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Photography : Optional Courses