Learn the fundamentals of the Python programming language, Python interactive environment and PyCharm Integrated Development Environment (IDE). Focus on best practices for writing, testing and debugging Python code.
Python programming language can be used for desktop applications, network programming and even mobile development. It is a cross-platform language so any Python code written for one operating system, such as Windows, works seamlessly on a Mac or Linux system.
NOTE: This course is not designed to be an introduction to general programming. To be successful in this course, you will need a basic knowledge of computer programming and some experience with programming languages. If you need to brush up on basic knowledge and skills of computer programming, please see ICT 710 Computer Programming Level 1.
Course Level Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Develop programs using Python programming language
- Evaluate and test Python commands
- Navigate, edit, debug, and run Python code
- Make smart choices and decisions in writing Python programs
- Apply Python object-oriented programming concepts
- Create simple Python modules
Topics of Instruction
- Introduction to PyCharm Integrated Development Environment and the Python shell
- Work with variables, operator and modules
- Use Python conditional control statements in decision making and iterations
- Functions and passing arguments
- Classes, objects, methods, inheritance and operator overloading
- Exception handling and file input/output object
- Writing and testing Python code using normal and interactive Python mode
- Introduction to Jupyter notebooks