Leaders, managers and supervisors are often expected to provide support to employees who are experiencing or recovering from mental health issues, including depression and anxiety. Learn the foundational skills needed to identify and respond to the complex situations involving mental health in the workplace. Discuss ways to create a culture of collaboration and support, and learn techniques to empower employees to perform at their best. Practise strategies to manage employee situations when mental health may be a factor. This course includes two interactive online sessions with a subject matter expert, and an opportunity to create a practical action plan to support the development of your own psychologically healthy workplace.
This online course is delivered in collaboration with Homewood Health, a Canadian provider of mental health and addiction services.
Course Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Recognize the signs of mental health issues in the workplace and when to intervene.
- Identify practical techniques to manage situations involving employee mental health including: developing accommodations, resolving workplace issues, providing supportive performance management and managing return-to-work processes.
- Create an action plan to implement in your workplace.
- Determine strategies for prevention, including how to build a culture of psychological health & safety.
- Describe the continuum of mental health and how it impacts the workplace.