Review Canada's unique history from 1867 to the early 21st century through the lens of iconic photographs that document and represent events that helped create today's Canada. Through lectures and discussion, explore the context and complexities of the moment that each image captures.
- The machinations of Confederation
- The importance of the railway
- Experiences of First Nations people
- Early (and later) immigration
- The debate around education systems
- The enduring American omnipresence
- French/English dynamics
- The Depression
- The World Wars
- Post-war prosperity
- The liberation of the sixties
- The Quebec Referendum and the Canadian Constitution
Additional resources will be available for students to enhance their learning.