Course DescriptionDiscover alternatives for managing hostile individuals constructively. Many people find themselves the target of hostile or aggressive behaviour in the workplace. Dealing with these encounters requires emotional energy and frequently results in increased stress. Discuss risk factors and ways to ensure personal safety. Learn to identify factors that escalate the level of hostility, as well as personal responses to hostile behaviour. Learn and practise a model for defusing hostility and increase your skills in constructively confronting problem behaviour.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Describe an ecological view of angry behaviour.
- Identify factors that escalate the level of hostility.
- Identify personal responses (constructive and not constructive) to hostile behaviour.
- Apply self-management skills to facilitate constructive responses to threatening behaviour.
a. Manage body stress
- Constructively confront problem behaviour.
- Apply a model for defusing hostility.
- Use verbal and non-verbal responses to hostility.
a. Use attending body language.
b. Use empathy.
c. Use questioning.
d. Use reframing.
e. Use assertive communication.
- Use defusing strategies flexibly.