Knowing a second language also means knowing a second culture. Learn what the term culture means and the purpose of knowing a culture for second language learners. Study how to integrate culture and intercultural explorations into the learning experience. Finally, examine the influences of culture on teaching and learning in both multi- and mono-cultural contexts. Discuss theory and practical elements of integrating peoples of different cultures.
Broad Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the Culture in Language Teaching course, you will be able to:
- Develop a broad theoretical framework of teaching principles within which the concept of culture can be explored;
- Identify the characteristics of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation in teaching culture as well as the role that motivation plays in the classroom;
- Compare the nuances of culture, identity, ethnicity, and politics that are rooted in the minds of students and teachers;
- Analyze yourself as a teaching professional and identify elements that require further professional development; and
- Recognize moral and ethical dilemmas in the teaching and learning environment.
Supporting Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the implications that diversity has on teachers and learners;
- Define diversity education in a sociopolitical and sociocultural context;
- Intersect student learning styles with culture, identity and learning; and
- Consider issues of diversity and inclusivity in lesson planning.
BMC 352 Learning Online (required for online sections of this course), and completion of TSL Level 1 - TESL courses or TSL Level 1 - TIHL courses.
- TSL 108 - Linguistic Structures (Complete)
- TSL 120 - TSL Fundamentals - ESL (Complete)
- TSL 121 - Teaching Skills and Systems 1 - ESL (Complete)
- TSL 122 - Teaching Skills and Systems 2 - ESL (Complete)
- TSL 127 - TSL Fundamentals - IHL (Complete)
- TSL 128 - Teaching Skills and Systems 1 - IHL (Complete)
- TSL 129 - Teaching Skills and Systems 2 - IHL (Complete)