Become more comfortable using your digital SLR camera for portraits. Understand how to use the quality of light and your camera’s basic operations for better results. Discuss exposure control, aperture, shutter speed, using the flash and available light. Review portraiture in both a historical and contemporary context and experiment with a variety of approaches both compositionally and technically. Please bring a Digital SLR or a mirror-less camera and your manual to first class.
- There will be hands-on in-class practice along with home assignments.
- Bring a flash (speedlite) that has the TTL feature and is compatible with your camera.
- Before coming to the first class, students should familiarize themselves with their camera manuals and be able to locate the shutter release, shutter speed and aperture dials.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Pose individuals and groups in various setups
- Connect, instruct and manage individuals and groups
- Utilize natural light in portrait photography
- Use and setup the essential studio lighting equipment
- Setup 4 point studio lighting system
- Plan for a portrait photography session
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Visual Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Art Theory and Practice : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Interior Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Photography : Optional Photography Courses