You will have opportunity to hone your writing and editing skills through writing, discussion with peers, and 10 hours of mentorship with a published author. You will provide a pre-course submission within your chosen genre. The work in progress will be a minimum of 10-15 pages and will also include a learning agreement describing the project and the direction of the work. The submission must be received at least one month prior to the course start date. You will enhance your skills and understanding of the writer’s craft specific to genre, and produce a small manuscript of approximately 40-50 pages maximum length.
To register into this course, please call 403.220.4101 in the Calgary area or 1.866.220.4992 (toll-free) and ask to be transferred to the Program Coordinator.
Broad Learning Outcome:
This will be a project-centered learning course. You will work closely with a mentor to assist your writing process, who will provide you with close editing toward a final draft. This draft may become a significant body of work toward a portfolio that can serve you well with a grant application or a query sample to a publisher.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- work and write more effectively with a deeper personal learning that launches risk-taking and experimentation with genre;
- begin to develop a personal portfolio of work;
- reduce the isolation that occurs for creative writers in developing a community;
- strengthen your self-editing process, and hone your listening skills for changing and building your writing.
- recognize good writing practices and the conventions of genre.
Prerequisites: Completion of all 160 hours of core, optional and elective courses. This is to be taken as the final course in the Creative Writing Certificate.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Creative Writing Certificate : Core Courses