Ergonomics is the science that addresses human performance and well-being in relation to the tasks that are being completed, the equipment used, and the environment in which work is being completed. In this introductory ergonomics course, you will learn about the prevention of occupational illness and injury by making changes to the design of work and workplaces.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to identify ergonomic concerns through a variety of methods, and begin developing solutions. You will: explore the physiological, cognitive and psychosocial factors that impact peoples' capabilities and limitations, learn basic design principles that optimize human performance, and discover methods to assess the effectiveness of changes.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Define ergonomics and understand its applications within an occupational health and safety context.
- Apply the science of anthropometry to the design of work areas
- Discuss the physiological impact of work on the body
- Understand the biomechanical impact of the design of work and employee work practices
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of musculoskeletal disorders
- Describe the ergonomics risk factors for musculoskeletal disorders, and how they may be reduced.
- Describe the purpose of a job demands analysis and how it differs from an ergonomics assessment
- Explain the steps involved in conducting an ergonomics assessment
- Identify tools and methods available to evaluate a variety of manual handling activities
- Utilize guidelines on job design to improve organizational factors of jobs
- Examine work area design and work practices to reduce ergonomics risk factors in an office environment
- Define the components of an ergonomics program
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Health, Safety and Environment Certificate : Optional Courses
- Human Resource Management Certificate : Optional Human Resource Management Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management - PEG : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Construction Management : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Risk Management : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Strategic Management : Optional Courses
- Public Relations Management Certificate : Optional Management Courses
- Security Management Certificate : Optional Management Courses