This 4-day course, covers the underlying competencies, Business Analysis Planning and Monitoring and Requirements Communication and Management knowledge areas from the Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge® (BABOK®) version 3.0.
Students will gain insight into the Business Analyst profession, the role Business Analysts play within an organization, the necessary skills required, and valuable applicable tools, techniques and methodologies for immediate use back on the job.
This course focuses extensively on how to develop thorough requirements elicitation and management processes while providing students with the opportunity to practice effective oral and written communication, documentation and facilitation skills. Students will identify and analyze business analysis project deliverables within the project lifecycle. In-class exercises will enable you to assimilate learning objectives.
- Business Analysts desiring formal recognition through certification
- Business or Information Systems Managers
- Project Managers
- IS and IT managers, systems integrators, and management or technology consultants
This course is the first in a series that will help prepare students for the Certified Business Analysis Professional™ (CBAP®) designation.
This course is one of three courses in the Business Analysis (CBAP®) Exam Preparation Program (offered by Procept Associates Ltd). For more information on this certificate, please visit http://conted.ucalgary.ca/cbap/.
- This course does not have prerequisites, students must however meet the recommendations and requirements in the Notes section below.
- Courses are instructor-led, face-to-face in a classroom.
Topics of Instruction
- Evaluate business analysis underlying competencies to gain an appreciation of how Business Analysts add value to an organization
- Distinguish and give examples of the differences between business analysis and project management
- Examine the profession, global standards, the professional organization and trends in the industry
- Illustrate an effective requirements management process
- Integrate effective writing practices into business analysis communication and documentation
- List and give examples of different requirement types
- Describe the steps required to complete a thorough stakeholder analysis
- Produce the elements of a good Requirements Management Plan
- Prepare documents like:
- Functional decomposition diagram (Work Breakdown Structure, WBS)
- Risk Analysis Plan
- Communication Plan
- Interpret how the business analysis activities contribute to overall product/solution of a project
Recommendations and Requirements
This course is 28 hours and is scheduled for 4 days.
- You will receive copies of presentation slides, case studies, exercises and suggested solutions.
It is strongly recommended that students attend every class. It is the responsibility of the student to communicate potential absenteeism to the instructor.