Assertiveness has been proven to be the most effective communication style for building win-win relationships based on mutual trust and respect. Assertiveness skills will enable you to increase your self confidence, share your ideas openly with reduced anxiety, gain support and commitment from others, and minimize unproductive conflict and other obstacles to cooperation and teamwork. By developing assertiveness skills, you will increase your overall ability to communicate effectively, which will contribute to your personal and professional success.
Through this two-day seminar, you will develop an understanding of the meaning and benefits of assertive communication. You will learn assertiveness skills and identify when to implement them in your business and personal lives.
- Recognizing the differences between passive-aggressive and assertive response styles
- Defining assertiveness goals, skills and payoffs
- Breaking out of unproductive cycles
- Presenting your ideas and decisions
- Exploring obstacles to assertion
- Examining the relationship between assertiveness and self-esteem
- Escaping self-defeating beliefs and behaviours
- Setting limits – saying no to unreasonable requests
- Giving constructive feedback
- Handling criticism and compliments
- Managing your anger and defusing anger in others
Certificate for Emerging Leaders topic area: Personal Effectiveness