Focus on Digital SLR cameras — cameras that are fully adjustable with the ability to change lenses. Topics include: composition, exposure control, automatic versus manual operation, aperture, shutter speed, white balance, using flash and available light, and evaluating the final pictures. Please bring camera and manual to first class.
Before coming to the first class, students should familiarize themselves with their camera manuals and be able to locate the shutter release, and the shutter speed and aperture dials.
By mastering and understanding the basic controls on your digital SLR camera, capture more effective and creative images.Learn basics about your light meter, adjusting aperture and shutter speed, different lenses and focal lengths, using your flash effectively, and balancing exposure in the Manual Mode.
- To understand basic technical photographic principles in order to comfortably use your camera in the manual setting.
- To understand and use visual elements of design in order to create stronger compositions and communicate your ideas
- To increase your ability to experiment and try creative techniques
For this course, you will need a SLR camera with a "manual mode" in which you can adjust both aperture and shutter speed simultaneously. Please read your camera manual and bring it to class. Optional equipment for the course: tripod and cable release
This course is non-graded, unless you are taking it for credit as part of the Certificate of Visual Design. http://conted.ucalgary.ca
Course content will include:
- Understanding your camera
- Photographic terminology and concepts
- File formats, sizing images, emailing and uploading files
- Sensors and Metadata
- Exposure and light meters
- Properties of Light (temperature, colour, direction, intensity)
- Colour Balance and White Balance
- Aperture and "depth of field"
- Using aperture priority mode
- The shutter: function and different types
- Motion photography (video)
- Balancing aperture and shutter speed in Manual Mode
- Equivalent Exposures
- Common problems
- Long exposures and Bulb mode
Content may vary slightly to meet needs of class
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Visual Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Art Theory and Practice : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Interior Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Photography : Optional Photography Courses