This introduction to the nature of legal contracts and documents includes discussion of: legal obligations of contracting parties, types of construction contracts, security, insurance, limitation periods, settlement of disputes by negotiating, arbitration and litigation, and liens and remedies.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the legal system, its origins and, in a broad sense, how it functions
- Analyze a dispute and express the issues in an organized fashion
- Understand the proper role of legal counsel and know how to use a lawyer efficiently
- Understand the essential components of a contract
- Draft a simple, enforceable contract (and understand why you shouldn't)
- Prepare tendering procedures and understand the recent changes to the law of tenders
- Prepare and administer a standard form contract
- Recognize a breach of a contract and its resolution
- Make a decision regarding the appropriate venue for the resolution of a contract dispute
- Identify the basis for a construction claim and prepare the documentation necessary to support it
- Understand the application of the Alberta Builders' Lien Act, know how to file a Builders' Lien and know when to get professional assistance.