This 3-day course is designed to provide Business Analysts with the skills required for involvement in strategy development, pre-project activities, and developing and managing enterprise architecture.
Students will learn the tasks and techniques outlined in the Enterprise Analysis and Solution Assessment and Validation Knowledge Areas within the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK®) version 3.0.
Through discussions, examples and hands-on exercises, students will recognize business goals and objectives, identify business problem or opportunity, analyze business problems or opportunities, identify viable solutions to these problems or opportunities, evaluate to select the most optimal solution, prepare and defend a business case. Students will also prepare procurement documents including a request for proposal, receive and evaluation proposals based on defined decision criteria, assess organizational readiness, and apply data conversion strategy and mapping to existing data.
- Business Analysts desiring formal recognition through certification
- Business or Information Systems Managers
- Project Managers
- IS and IT managers, systems integrators, and management or technology consultants
This course is the third in a series that will help prepare students for the Certified Business Analysis Professional™ (CBAP®) designation.
This course is the third of three courses in the Business Analysis (CBAP®) Exam Preparation Program (offered by Procept Associates Ltd). For more information on this certificate, please visit http://conted.ucalgary.ca/cbap/.
- Courses are instructor-led, face-to-face in a classroom.
Topics of Instruction
- Discuss enterprise analysis tasks and techniques
- Analyze and document a business problem
- Devise a business case
- Contrast viable solutions against developed decision criteria
- List possible solutions approaches
- Evaluate causes through the application of problem analysis techniques
- Isolate major causes of business problem and where to focus resources
- List types of gap analyses
- Assess limitations through the creation of a gap analysis
- Recall the phases of the project life cycle
- Conduct a Strength Weakness Opportunity Threat (SWOT) analysis
- Appraise competitive intelligence through a benchmarking study
- Build on previously learned techniques to develop high level requirements for the business case
- Defend business case recommendations
- List the sections of an RFP
- Describe the steps in RFP development and vendor selection
- Apply data conversion strategy and mapping to existing data
Recommendations and Requirements
This course is 21 hours and is scheduled for 3 days.
You will receive copies of presentation slides, case studies, exercises and suggested solutions.
It is strongly recommended that students attend every class. It is the responsibility of the student to communicate potential absenteeism to the instructor.