Be introduced to the field of learning and teaching a second language. Become familiar with the terminology used generally in the realm of second language teaching and specifically in the TSL Certificate program. Then focus on principles of classroom management and lesson planning. This will include concepts such as increasing student interaction in the classroom, using effective teacher language and logical staging of various lesson types.
Broad Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the TSL: Fundamentals course, you will be able to:
- Define the basic aims of Second Language Teaching in different teaching contexts.
- Acquire terminology specific to the field of second language teaching with an emphasis on ESL
- Explain and apply the principles of logical lesson planning
- Describe and understand various principles of effective classroom management.
- Apply the principles of effective ‘teacher language’.
- Better encourage interaction and student involvement in language lessons.
Supporting Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Analyze and design lesson plans based on criteria of effectiveness and learner outcomes/aims.
- Analyze effectiveness of lessons in respect to student interaction/involvement.
- Design and adapt teaching activities maximizing student involvement.
- Identify benefits and challenges of various teaching styles and contexts.
- Adjust teacher language appropriately in terms of complexity and clarity for various teaching contexts.
- Design and/or adapt strategies-based activities for various teaching contexts.