Explore jazz. Learn the secrets of jazz musicians. What are they doing and thinking when playing their music. Learn about songs and forms of jazz, what the rhythm section is doing, and how musicians improvise. Learn about jazz styles such as Swing, Bebop, and Cool Jazz and learn to recognize by ear musicians such as Jelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, and Dave Brubeck, and have fun doing it.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be able to…..
- Identify the 12 bar blues by ear.
- Identify the 32 bar AABA form by ear.
- Identify the main instruments of jazz by ear.
- Understand what is going on in jazz.
- Identify the main styles in the history of jazz and identify the main figures of those jazz styles.
NotesThere is a 20% reduced fee for students 65 years of age or older at the time of registration. You must register by phone (403-220-2952) or in person to
receive this discount.