Discuss different types of short fiction from micro to flash to regular short story. Delve into fundamentals including characterization, setting, and narrative arc. You will write and edit at least two drafts of your own work of short fiction. Collaborating with your instructor and fellow classmates, learn about your genre, its market, and publishing opportunities, and gain skill through practice.
Broad Learning Outcome:
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to utilize some of the basic techniques of writing short fiction, you will have written one short story, and you will have an enhanced appreciation of the short fiction genre.
Supporting Learning Outcome Statements
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Generate story ideas using a variety of methods
- Recognize narrative Points of View
- Move towards consistently creating round characters and strong settings
- Build on skills for writing dialogue that “rings true”
- Edit fiction with increased competency
- Define the conventions of the short story genre
- Identify some of your own recurring writing strengths and weaknesses
- Read short stories with a better appreciation of the technical craft
Caution: Please do not register for this course if you have not completed the prerequisite courses BMC 152 or BMC 352 and WRI 140 or registered to complete them before this course commences. In order to ensure fairness to all students, individuals without the required prerequisites will be subject to withdrawal from the course with no refund of tuition. If your desired course section is full, please check if another section is available for registration or add your name to the waitlist as sections are often added based on demand.
Prerequisites: BMC 352 Learning Online and WRI 140 Creative Writing Exploration.
It is not possible to register online for this course until you have successfully completed BMC 352 Learning Online or have a Learning Online Prerequisite Waiver in your profile. You may enrol in this course, by telephone, if you are enrolled in a section of BMC 352 that will be completed before this course begins.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Creative Writing Certificate : Optional Genre Courses