Become more comfortable using your digital SLR camera for portraits. Understand how to use the quality of light and your camera’s basic operations for better results. Discuss exposure control, aperture, shutter speed, using the flash and available light. Review portraiture in both a historical and contemporary context and experiment with a variety of approaches both compositionally and technically. Please bring camera and manual to first class.
- There will be hands-on in-class practice along with home assignments.
- Before coming to the first class, students should familiarize themselves with their camera manuals and be able to locate the shutter release, shutter speed and aperture dials.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Understanding lighting techniques
- Understanding the applications of depth of field in portrait photography
- Understanding the applications of shutter speed in portrait photography
- Learning the basics of studio photography
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Visual Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Art Theory and Practice : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Interior Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Photography : Optional Photography Courses