This course focuses on the more advanced skills needed to build out robust, enterprise ready BI solutions. Students will learn the skills needed to create and deliver data using a structured reporting tool for creating dashboards and static reporting structures. Business and IT analysts alike will benefit from learning these more advanced and enterprise grade tools in order to expand their self service capabilities.
The last mile in unlocking the value of data lies in its presentation. How data is presented to end users depends on the specific use cases and the requirements as determined by the business. Reports typically range from executive dashboards to pre-canned regularly run detail reports and open ended ad-hoc slice and dice structures that are consumed by power users.
This course is designed for individuals who want to learn new capabilities in Reporting Services, but also beginners who want to learn how Reporting Services can solve business problems in their organization. The majority of the course is based on business needs and the reports, code, and configurations you will create to fulfill those needs.
Courses are instructor-led, face-to-face and may be delivered in three formats:
- In Class - all classes are taught in a computer lab.
- Online - all classes are taught synchronously in real-time.
- Blended - delivery is both in a computer lab and synchronously online, alternating weekly.
It is the students responsibility to carefully read the course section content below to know which delivery options are available for the course they are registering into.
- Registrations within 24 hours of course start time must be made by phone (403-220-2988).
Top of Page
Course Level Learning Outcomes
Topics of Instruction
- Requirements Gathering for reports solutions
- Report Authoring
- The Report wizard
- Basic Report authoring
- Graphics in reports
- Intermediate Report Authoring
- Advanced Report Authoring
- Report Delivery and Maintenance
- Delivering reporting solutions
- Maintaining the report solution
- Best Practices
Top of Page
Recommendations and Requirements
Courses are 30 hours and are scheduled to be completed in either 5 weeks or 10 weeks. Generally, 5 week courses have two classes per week, and 10 week courses have one class per week.
Courses may be delivered in class, online, or blended (both in class and online). All delivery formats will use Desire2Learn (D2L) and Adobe Connect Meeting (ACM) tools to varying degrees and it is the students responsibility to ensure they are comfortable with these tools prior to the start of the first class.
Students are encouraged to read Student Online Learning Resources to determine the delivery format that will best meet their learning needs.
- Students familiar with D2L and ACM from previous course work require no further introduction to these learning tools.
- Students who register into an in class only course section and who are unfamiliar with D2L and ACM learning tools are recommended to take the necessary time to fully explore these learning tools prior to the start of class.
- Students who register into an online or blended course section and who are unfamiliar with D2L and ACM learning tools are recommended to take BMC 352 Learning Online.
For online and blended delivery, students should have access to their own computer with required software, Internet connection, a headset with speakers and microphone, webcam, and a monitor large enough to display multiple applications (or the use of two monitors). Students should test their environment prior to the start of class to ensure everything is working properly.
Students will need access to software outside the classroom lab to enable work on assignments, projects, and other course work.
- The software used in this course is Microsoft SQL Server 2012 which may be downloaded from Microsoft.
- If necessary, additional requirements will be announced at the start of the course.
It is strongly recommended that students attend every class. It is the responsibility of the student to communicate potential absenteeism to the instructor.
Top of Page