This course focuses on the self-service approach to BI. Students will learn the tools and applications that allow business managers to create personalized reports and analytical queries. Focus will be given to standard reporting tools, advanced spreadsheet and dash boarding with some attention given to OLAP technologies.
The fundamental objective of business intelligence (BI) is to support business decisions. This means BI must provide relevant data and analytics in a timely manner, and be able to adapt quickly to changing business needs. BI has long been the sole domain of IT. In recent years however, BI tools have progressed to the point where they are now easier to use and are more accessible to the business manager.
Today sales, marketing, business development, and operations should all be using this self-service approach to manage and organize data in real time, and collaboratively build insights and analyses for their specific needs and to accomplish mutual goals.
This course is designed for Excel users, project managers, and decision makers who want to fill the gap between an Excel spreadsheet and a complete business intelligence solution. Leveraging PowerBI from Microsoft, students will learn how to pull data into an Excel spreadsheet from a multitude of sources, how to format and prepare that data prior to loading into an analytical model, and how to create visualizations and dashboards upon that data.
PowerBI from Microsoft is a suite of tools for desktop and Self-Service Business Intelligence. The suite includes the following tools :
- PowerQuery used for sourcing data and preparing it for use
- PowerPivot a modelling tool which creates an in-memory analytical ‘cube’ within the Excel environment, and
- PowerView a visual dashboarding tool
The Instructor will assume that you have an intermediate to advanced knowledge of Excel and have no previous knowledge of Power BI.
Course Level Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Describe the role and value of Self Service Business Intelligence (SSBI) within the corporate analytics environment
- Define the responsible use of SSBI in the context of data governance
- Describe the SSBI tools currently available in terms of their features and market positioning
- Demonstrate how to build effective data visualizations from defined data requirements
Topics of Instruction
- What is self-service Business Intelligence?
- The need for self-service
- How to determine requirements for Self Service
- Benefits and Issues with Self-Service
- Designing sustainable Self Service solutions
- Using the self-service tools
- Sourcing data from persona data sources, across the web and Corporate IT Systems
- Preparation of data, creation of models and loading of data to models
- Introduction to DAX
- Best Practices
- Creation of effective data visualizations
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Business Intelligence and Analytics : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Office Applications : Optional Courses