The Certificate in Integrated Digital Media incorporates design principles along with tools, techniques and technologies to help students design, create, and publish a variety of digital media content for today's multi-platform electronic devices.
Learn the latest software tools used in the communications industry such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign along with markup and style sheets languages such as HTML and CSS3 to help you design and create media content, web environments or user interfaces applying a design interaction process that combines design and function.
This certificate will be of interest to individuals who want to start a career in digital media publishing, website design, interface design, user experience design, digital marketing, and digital media production and design. Our set of courses allow students to reflect their individual interests and career directions.
Courses are instructor-led, face-to-face and may be delivered in three formats:
- In Class: All classes are taught in a computer lab.
- Online: All classes are taught synchronously in real-time.
- Blended: Delivery is both in a computer lab and synchronously online, alternating weekly.
In general, most students will complete the program within two years, given that most students have other significant time commitments.
Students who are keen to fast-track their program are encouraged to contact a student advisor to discuss their specific situation and options that may be available.
You can take courses first and enrol in the certificate later; however, as programs are subject to change, we recommend you apply for admission to the certificate program as early as possible. Once you are admitted, you can be confident that you have locked in the requirements leading to your graduation.
You must be a minimum of 18 years of age to be admitted to the program. Successful completion of a Grade 12 diploma and relevant work experience are recommended. If English is not your first language, please review the English language proficiency requirements.
A degree or diploma is not required to enrol in this program.Apply for Certificate Admission
Advanced Standing may be granted for equivalent, graded courses completed at other post-secondary institutions. Credit may be granted for up to a maximum of 60 hours towards this certificate.
To apply for advanced standing:
- Submit an Application for Advanced Standing, specifying the course for which you are requesting exemption, and the equivalent course credits you have obtained.
- Include a non-refundable administration fee of $100 for the course credit you request (payable online by credit card).
- Include a course outline and description of the equivalent course that you are submitting for advanced standing.
- Include a proof of attendance and final grade of the equivalent course from the educational institution you attended.
Transferring credit from other Continuing Education certificates
If you have completed requirements for another University of Calgary Continuing Education certificate, you may be able to transfer* some credits between programs. For details, please review the Transferability section in the certificate programs that you have completed. To transfer credits, please contact a student advisor.
*Note: The combined total of Transferability and Advanced Standing credits cannot exceed 120 hours for this certificate.
To graduate, a student must satisfy all certificate requirements including:
- Successful completion of the core, optional and elective program requirements.
- Attain a minimum of a C in all courses used to meet program requirements.
Note: If a student attains a grade of C-, D+ or D in one course only, a program director has the discretionary authority to approve a student for graduation. It will be the student's responsibility to contact the program director to request approval. Approval is usually granted for exceptional circumstances and it is the student's responsibility to contact the program director to request approval.
It is the student's responsibility to ensure all requirements for graduation are fulfilled, and to apply to graduate. Student advisors are available to meet with students to review status and determine outstanding certificate requirements.Apply for Certificate Graduation