The Certificate in Video Production provides comprehensive knowledge and skills to create and produce video content, from concept design and preproduction planning, to digital video production, editing, postproduction, compositing, and visual effects.
You will learn tools and techniques for capturing and recording video and audio, including editing and post-production, using the cross-platform application video software Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects. Then, complete your projects for DVD, web or social media use.
This certificate will be of value to those interested in becoming video content creators, video producers or editors ready for participation in the evolving video production and media industry; or, for those as who want to create and upload videos to the web, for personal or business purposes.
Courses are instructor-led, face-to-face and may be delivered in three formats:
- In Class: All classes are taught in a computer lab.
- Online: All classes are taught synchronously in real-time.
- Blended: Delivery is both in a computer lab and synchronously online, alternating weekly.
In general, most students who have other significant time commitments complete the program in two years.
Students are encouraged to contact a student advisor to discuss their specific situation.
You can take courses first and enrol in the certificate later; however, as programs are subject to change, we recommend you apply for admission to the certificate program as early as possible. Once you are admitted, you can be confident that you have locked in the requirements leading to your graduation.
You must be a minimum of 18 years of age to be admitted to the program. Successful completion of a Grade 12 diploma and relevant work experience are recommended. If English is not your first language, please review the English language proficiency requirements.
A degree or diploma is not required to enrol in this program.Apply for Certificate Admission
Advanced Standing may be granted for equivalent, graded courses completed at other post-secondary institutions. Credit may be granted for up to a maximum of 60 hours towards this certificate.
To apply for advanced standing:
- Submit an Application for Advanced Standing, specifying the course for which you are requesting exemption, and the equivalent course credits you have obtained.
- Include a non-refundable administration fee of $100 for the course credit you request (payable online by credit card).
- Include a course outline and description of the equivalent course that you are submitting for advanced standing.
- Include a proof of attendance and final grade of the equivalent course from the educational institution you attended.
Transferring credit from other Continuing Education certificates
If you have completed requirements for another University of Calgary Continuing Education certificate, you may be able to transfer* some credits between programs. For details, please review the Transferability section in the certificate programs that you have completed. To transfer credits, please contact a student advisor.
*Note: The combined total of Transferability and Advanced Standing credits cannot exceed 120 hours for this certificate.
To graduate, a student must satisfy all certificate requirements including:
- Successful completion of the core, optional and elective program requirements.
- Attain a minimum of a C in all courses used to meet program requirements.
Note: If a student attains a grade of C-, D+ or D in one course only, a program director has the discretionary authority to approve a student for graduation. It will be the student's responsibility to contact the program director to request approval. Approval is usually granted for exceptional circumstances and it is the student's responsibility to contact the program director to request approval.
It is the student's responsibility to ensure all requirements for graduation are fulfilled, and to apply to graduate. Student advisors are available to meet with students to review status and determine outstanding certificate requirements.Apply for Certificate Graduation